Metal Leaf Bowl
Made in: Haiti
Artisan Group: Anchored in Hope
This bowl was hand-crafted in Haiti from recycled oil drums by Claudy and the metal artisans he works with near Port-Au-Prince, Haiti. Each purchase not only supports these artisans, but also provides FMSC meals for children in need around the world.
Size: Approx. 10" wide x 4 1/2" tall
How is metal art made? Haiti imports oil in large, 55 gallon steel drums. From these containers, our artisan partners create beautiful works of art through the following steps:
1. They cut both ends of the steel drum off and reserve the top/bottom of the drums for 23" metal art they create.
2. Next, the artisans stuff the drum with banana leaves and start a fire to burn off residue and paint.
3. When cool, they slice the drum down the middle & stretch/pound it flat to reveal a 3' x 6' metal canvas (kind of like rolling out gingerbread, except with steel).
4. They then draw the design onto the metal with chalk.
5. Pound, snip, chisel, stipple, cut, shape, contour...
6. Your unique work of art is now complete!